Dr. Julius C. Ahiekpor holds a PhD (Chemical Engineering) from the University of Port Harcourt in where he researched on converting agricultural and municipal waste to energy products. He also had both his MSc and BSc from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Kumasi, Ghana. He is a senior lecturer and researcher at the Chemical Engineering Department of Kumasi Technical University and also the head of the Bioenergy at the Centre for Renewable Energy, and Energy Efficiency, at the Centre for Renewable Energy, and Energy Efficiency (CREK). His research interests are in the areas of biomass to energy conversion and utilization. He has over eight years of experience in renewable energy technologies, CDM project development for industrial scale plants, policy reviews, as well as sustainability and feasibility studies. He has conducted several studies/consultancies for organisations including UNDP, Ghana Energy Commission, SNV Ghana, Ghana Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, and ECREEE involving travels to other African countries for data collection. He is a founding member of CEESD.
|06/2014 – 01/ 2015||Ghana||Local energy expert||Feasibility study to establish 200 institutional biogas systems in Ghana. A technical support to Ghana Energy Commission supported by Climate Support Facility|
|05/2014 – 06/2014||Ghana||Consultant||Developed Carbon financing and marketing options for Philips woodstoves for SNV|
|04/2014 – 07/2014||Ghana||Monitoring officer||Conduct MVR for Envirofit’s Ghana CPA 1 and 2 under its efficient cookstove PoA for Africa.|
|12/2013 – 03/2014||Ghana||Consultant||Mapping of all stakeholders in the cookstove sector in Ghana for GHACCO, commissioned by GEC, UNDP and SNV|
|06/2013 – 01/2014||Kumasi||Consultant||Building of a 40 m3 institutional biogas plant for Kumasi Institute for Tropical Agriculture|
|07/2013 – 12/2013||Ghana||Consultant||Assessment of solar PV lanterns projects in Ghana, commissioned by SNV.|
|11/2011 – 12/2012||Nigeria, Gambia, Liberia, Ghana, Sierra-Leone||Team leader||Capacity needs assessment for renewable energy and energy efficiency in West Africa, commissioned by ECREEE|
|06/2010 – Date||Kumasi Abattoir||Consultant||Prepared PIN for Abattoir waste to biogas CDM project|
|8/2011 – Date||Ghana||Team member||First CDM programme activity on Envirofit cookstoves in Ghana [Registered and awaiting MVR]|
|11/2011 – 11/2012||Ghana||Consultant||Community mobilization, Training and Field trials of Lifestraw family filters in Domenasi and Abura in the Central Region of Ghana, commissioned by Vestergaad Fransen of Switzerland|
|05/2009 – 07/2011||Ghana||Coordinator||Production and testing of gel ethanol (from sugarcane) as household fuel in Ghana|
|6/2010 – Date||Kumasi Polytechnic||Coordinator||Research and development of solar dryers for large scale drying of agricultural produce in Ghana|
|08/2010 – Date||Kumasi Polytechnic||Coordinator||Research and development of decentralized biochar reactors and small scale compost plants for agricultural applications in Ghana|
|9/2010||Bongo||Assistant coordinator||Design and installation of solar water distillers at Anaafo Bisi, Bongo, Upper East Region|
|2007 -2009||Domeabra and Biemso||Project Assistant||Community Mobilization and conducted participatory rural appraisal for the production of gel ethanol|
- Ahiekpor, J.C., Kuye, A.O., and Achaw, OW (2017). Optimization of the Pyrolysis of Hardwood Sawdust in a Fixed Bed Reactor Using Surface Response Methodology. Lignocellulose. 6(2). 98-108.
- Joshua, A. J., Ahiekpor, J.C., and Kuye, A. (2016): Nigerian hardwood (Nesogordonia papaverifera) Sawdust Characterization: Proximate Analysis, Cellulose and Lignin Contents. Lignocellulose. 5(1). 50-58.
- Kuye, A., Ahiekpor, J.C., and Osei-Wusu, A. (2016): Fast pyrolysis of African Danta Hardwood (Nesogordonia papaverifera) and Obeche Softwood (Triplochiton scleroxylon) Sawdust. Journal of Petroleum Technology Development Fund. 6 (2). 67-76.
- Ahiekpor J.C., Antwi, E., Bensah, E.C., Ribeiro, X.F. (2015). Determinants of urban household cooking fuel choice in Ghana. International Journal of Current Research. 7(6). 17203-17206. http://www.journalcra.com/article/determinants-urban-household-cooking-fuel-choice-ghana
- Antwi E., Bensah E. C., Ahiekpor J. (2011). Use of solar water distiller for treatment of fluoride-contaminated water: the case of Bongo district of Ghana, Desalination, doi: 10.1016/j.desal.2011.05.044.
- Ahiekpor, J.C. and Kuwornoo, D.K. (2010). Optimization of Factors Affecting the Transesterification of Crude Palm Kernel Oil. International Journal of Energy and Environment, 1(4), pp 675 – 622.
- Ahiekpor, J.C., and Kuwornoo, D.K. (2010). Kinetics of Palm Kernel Oil and Ethanol Transesterification.International Journal of Energy and Environment, 1(6), pp 1097 – 1108.
- Ahiekpor, J.C., Boateng, C.D., Bensah, E.C., (2012). Assessing the Higher National Diploma (HND) Chemical engineering programme in Ghana: Students’ perspective. European Journal of Engineering Education.
- Bensah E. C., Ahiekpor J.C, Boateng C. (2011). Migrating from subject-based to competency-based training in Higher National Diploma Chemical Engineering: the case of Kumasi Polytechnic. Education for Chemical Engineers
- Bensah E. C., Ahiekpor J., Antwi E. (2010). Improving sanitation in Ghana: role of sanitary biogas plants. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 5(2): 125-133. Medwell Journals.
- Bensah E.C., Antwi E., Ahiekpor J. (2011). Promoting enterprise-based ecological public toilets in Ghana: technology and economics, 2nd National Environmental Sanitation Conference – NESCON 2011, Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, Kumasi, Ghana
- Bensah E.C., Antwi E., Ahiekpor J. Ghana’s revised environmental sanitation policy 2010: a review. 3rd Ghana Water Forum, Ministry of Water, Works and Housing, Accra.
- Ahiekpor J., Antwi E., Bensah E. C., Quansah A., Killoren D. Production of gel-fuel as a possible replacement for fuel wood in rural Ghana, Presented at the 3rdMondialogo/UNESCO engineering conference in 2009, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Bensah E.C, Antwi E, Ahiekpor J.C., Boadu E. Quality drinking water for rural communities. Technology options. 3rd Ghana Water Forum, Ministry of water, works and housing. Ghana. 5-7 September, 2011. Accra Ghana.
- Bensah, E.C, Ahiekpor J.C., Antwi, E., Arthur, R., and Quansah A., (2010). Improving Sanitation in Ghana: The Role of Sanitary Biogas Plants. Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Applied Research Conference of Koforidua Polytechnic, Koforidua, Ghana; May, 2010.
- Asase, M., Ahiekpor, J.C., Bensah E.C., and Antwi, E., (2010). Sustainable production and consumption. Seminar organised for KNUST students by UNEP and Otumfo’s Charity Foundation
- Ahiekpor, J.C. and Kuwornoo, D.K. (2009). Factors Affecting the Transesterification of Crude Palm Kernel Oil, presented at the 1st National Polytechnics Research Conference in 2009 at Dodowa, Ghana.
- Quansah , A. D., Ahiekpor, J.C., Bensah E.C., Antwi, E., and. Asase, M., (2010). Climate Change- The Role of the Educationist. A presentation at a Climate Change awareness campaign at the St Louis College of Education Kumasi, Ghana. Organized by the Center for Energy Environment and Sustainable Development (CEESD) Ghana.
- Quansah , A. D., Ahiekpor, J.C., Antwi, E., Asase, M., and Bensah E.C (2010). Climate Change- The Role of the Professional. A presentation at a Ghana Union of Professional Students’ week at sunyani, Ghana. Ghana Union of Professional Students (GUPS).